Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Triple Chocolate covered nuts

Now this is a classic in our family. What's Christmas without an endless supply of chocolate covered nuts?! My Dad's favorite was always the chocolate covered peanuts while the women tended to favor the variety of fancy mixed nuts. We must appreciate the subtleties of flavor much more than the men of the family! It's pretty much the same story in my house today... my hubby loves the peanuts and won't touch the mixed nuts (what if he ate an almond?!!! Heaven forbid)! :)

So anyway, I bet you're thinking "Is a recipe really needed for chocolate covered nuts? It isn't exactly rocket science!!" Well, let me tell you... this "recipe" has a hidden secret... it's actually 3 chocolates melted together to make the creamiest, most delicious chocolate covered nuts you've tasted. So this year, try out a triple chocolate concoction over your nuts...and remember, this isn't the time to be stingy on the cost of your chocolate. Good quality chocolate makes a world of difference in candy making! After all, it's Christmas - the perfect time to treat yourself and your family!





Chocolate Covered Nuts

submitted by Brittany

 

1 cup milk chocolate chips

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup white chocolate chips

approximately 3 cups mixed nuts or dry roasted peanuts

Combine all the chocolate chips together in a glass bowl. Microwave on 60% power for 1 minute. Stir gently once or twice. Microwave for another minute on 60% power. Chocolate chips should be glossy and melted slightly but still in their shape. Stir gently until melted completely. (Since every microwave is different, you may need an extra 30 seconds to a minute - just remember not to use full power.)

Pour nuts into chocolate and gently stir to coat well. I have never measured the nuts when I do this, I just pour and stir until I feel like there is a good ratio of chocolate to nuts. My preference is to have a good amount of chocolate coating the nuts so I add a little, stir them in, add some more, etc. You definitely don't want to see any nuts - they should be coated thickly with chocolate.

With a spoon, drop small clusters on wax paper, parchment paper, or Silpat. Allow to cool completely then store between layers of wax paper in a Tupperware - somewhere cool and dry.

12 comments:

  1. I posted holiday nuts today too. Love yours!

    Two Peas and Their Pod moved to WordPress, please update your readers, etc. Our address is: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com Come visit us and check out our new look! Thanks for following us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate covered nuts! Yep, mixed nuts. But I've never tried them with white chocolate mixed in. I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... let's make more when you come!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny, I am posting this recipe on my blog in a couple of days. I agree, its an easy, delicious classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous idea! I never would have thought to make chocolate covered nuts on my own, even though it seems so simple.
    Thanks for sharing the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best recipe--I love these! And my favorite is to use dry roasted peanuts, not plain ones. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to give these a try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this recipe - perfect for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you love your husband, make him a batch of just chocolate covered cashews... and then drop a note to my wife and tell her to do the same

    love this

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely going to make these for Christmas. Hubby loves cashews, so I'm going that route. You say to buy GOOD chocolate...any suggestions? What do YOU use?

    ReplyDelete
  11. we r two sisters who dedicate our blog to our mom too....good luck in your endeavour

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Coleen,

    My favorite is Guittards or Ghiradelli. However, I know a lot of people are fans of Hersheys or Nestle. Just as long as you don't use the generic brands! They are often really awful!! Good luck! Brittany

    ReplyDelete