Thursday, January 14, 2010

Peanut Butter Cup Trifle Dessert

I brought this yummy trifle to a baby shower last night. Who can resist a scrumptious trifle with layers of rich chocolaty brownies, smooth pudding, and crumbled peanut butter cups?? Not I for one! And neither can anyone else, since whenever I make this it is gone in a flash. :) This delicious trifle is pretty rich, so I always save it for a party with a crowd. Mmmmmm! Thanks goes to Kaily who shared this recipe that I've now been enjoying for a few years!
You can't really appreciate it in this picture, but trifle dishes are so pretty! I always tie a pretty ribbon bow on the pedestal (although you can't see the pink bow very well in this picture. I bet you can guess it was a baby GIRL baby shower. :) ) Trifles are also super easy to put together, and the presentation is impressive. If you don't have a glass trifle dish, perhaps you could use a pretty glass serving bowl....


Peanut Butter Cup Trifle Dessert

Submitted by Erin ~ The Sisters Cafe



9x13 pan of brownies, cut into 1 inch pieces
5.1 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups milk
½ cup creamy peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
8 oz container thawed whipped topping (Cool Whip), divided
20 peanut butter cups, crumbled (buy in a 10-pack. Not the bite-sized)
6-8 peanut butter cups to garnish.


Combine pudding and milk. Beat for 2 minutes. Add peanut butter and vanilla, beat until smooth. Gently fold in 2 cups cool whip.
Layer in trifle dish ½ the brownies, ½ the crumbled peanut butter cups, ½ the pudding mixture. Repeat. Top with cool whip and peanut butter cups. (Or shaved chocolate curls, as I did.) Chill until serving.



31 comments:

  1. I think I've died and gone to heaven...can't wait to try it. That's just cruel for a girl trying to watch her figure :)

    Christy
    www.thegirlwhoateeverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven! Erin, I am going to make this for my next big gathering. I wish I would have told Aunt Donna that I would do a dessert instead of a salad for the party on Saturday. It seriously looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I am definitely going to try this soon. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be the most decadent thing I have ever seen

    fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks heavenly :-)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks and sounds delicoius

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh YUM!!!! You guys are all tempting me with all these pb treats... my favorite! Trifle is so good anyway... but this has got to be the best combo! Cute pic too! I need to get a trifle bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this would be gone in a heartbeat at my house! Can't wait to try it, thanks for sharing.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love finding new combinations to put in my trifle bowl. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this! I too love to make trifle (it's so pretty and really is easy) and have another good recipe you might like to try. Pound cake, vanilla pudding, mixed berries (sweetened with a little sugar) and whipped cream, or Cool Whip. Place a few of the berries on top for garnish. I can't wait to try this chocolate one. Who doesn't love peanut butter, chocolate and whipped cream?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great and I know it has to taste great with all the peanut butter and brownie pieces in it.....YUM. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, this sounds so good!! i really want to try it. Maybe I'll make it for the Superbowl party?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Erin,

    We made this last night for friends and everyone loved it. It was so rich, but so delicious. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks soooo tempting. I will be wishing for this all day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cathy - wheresmydamnanswerJanuary 18, 2010 at 6:26 AM

    Your timing is perfect as I was just looking for a a trifle recipe for an upcoming play date with the peoples and here you are!! Thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow shouldn't have checked your blog so late! I will be dreaming of peanut butter cup trifles all night long!!! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am going to make this for the superbowl. My boys would LOVE this!! Thanks Erin!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this for Logan's baby blessing... the trifle dish was scraped clean when it was time to go. :) Big Hit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! I have been waiting since January to make this for my brother's birthday whose favorite thing in the world is peanut butter. Wish I would have just tried it sooner, well or not, because now I'm finding any reason at all to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! My name is Valisa and I've used many of your recipies which have all been delish! I am planning a baby shower and would love to make this. How many people does it feed? Could you email me? valdance4@hotmail.com. Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I emailed Valisa back, but to anyone else who has the same question, I would say this feeds 10+ people. (If you serve it a party and get a more specific number of people that it served, do share!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just curious..I am making this tonight..I want to be sure that it is actually 5.1 oz vanilla pudding and not 1.5oz w/ 3 cups of milk ....Thanks! This sounds so yummy and can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Jenni!
    It is a 5.1-oz sized box of dry instant vanilla pudding mix. The smaller box size is 3.9 oz, but you should use the larger sized box. Every grocery store sells both sizes.
    This will be such a hit at your party! Have fun!
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can this be made the night before you plan to serve it or will the brownies get too soggy?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Deena,
    I haven't tried to assemble it early. I probably wouldn't attempt to. I think trifles are best fresh for the reason you said - after time, the layers could meld into each other and get soggy. Hopefully you can still make this! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made this the night before for Christmas dinner and everyone loved it! The brownies where fine. I did keep it refrigerated and did not put it together until the brownies where completely cooled.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks amazing. Can't wait to try it, I wonder what it would taste like if I added some carmel and pretzels!

    ReplyDelete