Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ranch Chicken


We had our church missionaries (two 19-year-old young men who are serving a 2-year full time mission away from home) over for dinner the other night and I served Ranch Chicken. It was a big hit; they loved it so much that I think I might make it for them again. :)  They were very sweet about dinner; it made me happy to give them a nice home cooked meal. :)   Along with the Ranch Chicken, I served Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, Zucchini Tomato Bake, Grandma's Homemade French Bread, and Freezer Strawberry Jam.  For dessert we had Fresh Apple Cake with a Caramel Drizzle. As it turned out, every single thing I served on the menu has been posted on The Sisters Cafe. :)
I prefer to use chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts with this recipe, because each bite has some of the flavorful crust. Last time I used probably 2 ½ lbs of tenderloins (most of a 3 lb bag of frozen chicken tenderloins); just gauge what you think would be the equivalent of 8 chicken breasts. If you use tenderloins instead, make sure you decrease the cooking time by nearly half. This Ranch Chicken is moist and flavorful. We love it!   Hope you enjoy. :)



Ranch Chicken

Submitted by Erin  ~  The Sisters Cafe



¾ cup crushed cornflakes

¾ cup grated parmesan cheese

1 pkg ranch salad dressing mix

8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (or about 2 ½ lbs of frozen chicken tenderloins, thawed)

½ cup butter/margarine, melted (or for a low-fat version, use 2 egg whites, slightly beaten)


In a shallow bowl, combine the cornflakes, parmesan cheese, and salad dressing mix.  Dip chicken in melted butter, then roll in cornflake mixture to coat.

Place chicken breasts in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.  (If using tenderloins, check for doneness after 20 or 25 minutes.) Do not overbake. Makes 8 servings.

17 comments:

  1. My favorite is pizza, pizza, pizza....even though I'm from Arizona and should be Mexican. Mexican, Mexican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything}March 30, 2011 at 2:17 AM

    Believe or not I have never made ranch chicken. Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like it should be a staple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew we should have come over earlier for dinner LOL! I cannot wait to cook these for the family! They love the parmesan chicken skewers already, so I know they will love, love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm a new follower (oops thought I already was lol) Hmmm local food eh? I honestly can't say anything pops out to me. I guess I don't get out enough lol. I'll be making this chicken soon though =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a feast. I better they were really happy to have a home cooked meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I am putting this on next weeks menu because I know my daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my families favorites! we use a packet of italian dressing though. we made your strawberry spinach salad last week and my grandma and husband said it was their new favorite salad! thanks for all the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gave me this recipe awhile back and we have really enjoyed it! That is cute about the missionaries - it's always fun when they really appreciate your dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son just left on his mission (to Mexico). I bet he would love to come over to your home for dinner... The MTC food is not a big hit with him! Ill try this chicken, it sounds like a recipe my family would love. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe - I made them tonite - except with a little tweak here and there - I didn't have corn flakes so I crushed up hot and spicy cheezit's and had buffalo wings I got at the farmer's market and used them! My husband loved them - I think he ate 12 of them! I would recommend (with the wings) that after baking, just broil them a bit to crisp them up (at least that's how we like them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your recipes have been great, I am making this for dinner! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to make these ASAP. Give me ranch anything, and I'll love it! PS I love how the missionaries loved it so much, too. That is one thing about living in Utah. You never get to have the missionaries over because there is so much competition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like it would be a perfect sunday dinner. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made this for dinner tonight. It was fantastic! And easy. Thanks for the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this last night for dinner...HUGE hit! Not one chicken tender left to spare and it will be on my easy dinner radar! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I want to cut this recipe in half and use only 4 chicken breasts how long should I cook them for?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Leslie,
    If I was going to do four chicken breasts, I would check them for doneness at 20/25 minutes, and then add more time based on how they looked. If I have cooked only four chicken breasts before, I don't remember how long it took. So I would just keep checking them until they were no longer pink in the middle.
    Hope that helps!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete