Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Black Bean and Sweet Corn Quinoa



I love love love this quinoa dish.  It is healthy, easy, on the hearty side, and just so tasty that I almost couldn't stop eating it.  And I usually don't have an issue with overeating the side dish. :)  In fact, I usually don't crave side dishes either, but after I made this recipe the first time I immediately started craving it again.  So I made it twice in one week and even brought some to a friend who had broken her arm - poor thing!  The original recipe called for two cans of black beans, but I think I like it better with just one.  I didn't have sweet white corn the second time I made this, so I used regular corn from my freezer. I thought it was just as good.

FYI: My husband is a huge rice fan.  When I realized that he was a quinoa fan, too, I couldn't help comparing the nutritional facts between the two.  It was interesting.  I'll let you see for yourself, but I just want to add one more thing... rice doubles in bulk when it cooks, but quinoa quadruples!  So 1 cup of dry rice makes 2 cups cooked rice, and 1 cup of quinoa makes 4 cups of cooked quinoa... gotta love feeling like you get to eat more! :)

Whole Grain Quinoa (1/4 cup dry):
Calories: 170
Fat: 2.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 30g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Protein 7g
Iron 10%

Long Grain Brown Rice (1/4 cup dry):
Calories: 160
Fat: 1.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 35g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Protein 4g
Iron 4%
Thiamin 10%
Niacin 10%

Black Bean and Sweet Corn Quinoa
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen sweet white corn
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  When shimmering and hot, add the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.  Add the garlic and stir for a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the quinoa and cover with broth.  Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until the liquid is absorbed).

Stir in the frozen corn and black beans.  Cover and let the pot sit off the heat until the corn and beans are heated through, about 5-6 minutes.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve warm or chilled - it is delicious both ways!

Recipe Source: www.melskitchencafe.com

20 comments:

  1. Heather of Kitchen ConcoctionsApril 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM

    That’s so crazy! I just posted a quinoa recipe and some interesting facts about quinoa on my blog today! Your quinoa recipe sounds delish too; I’ll be making it next!

    http://www.kitchen-concoctions.com/2011/04/quinoa-ancient-crop-with-modern-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE quinoa and I love corn and black bean salad, so I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you loved this one, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks wonderful Mindy. I have never cooked with quinoa before but I want to go pick some up soon. can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just thought I'd tell you all that I LOVE your blog. My cooking has really jumped up a notch since trying so many of your recipes. I have never tried one that I don't like. Butttermilk is my new favorite thing to cook with from pancakes to waffles to rolls, it's great! Whenever I have a recipe that I'd like to try, I check your (or Mels) blog first and know that it will be a good one.

    So I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you are putting into this. I found another blog recently from all of it's recent publicity and recipe book in Desert Book, and although, great... (I like yours better!) :)

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this for dinner and it was fantastic!! I had some left over roasted chicken that I chopped up and threw in and it was SO good!!! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you liked it, Jennifer! And I love your idea of adding chicken. I thought about throwing in leftover rotisserie chicken next time I made it, and now I will for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, I tried to look at your blog today a couple of times, but it just kept coming up totally black. I don't know what's wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy P.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment!! We had a sisters cafe conference call today and we all talked about how your sweet comment made our day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another thumbs up! I sure liked this recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was my first attempt at quinoa and I loved it! It was so full of flavor. It was a touch spicy for my kids, so I'll probably half the cayenne pepper next time, but this is definitely a recipe I'll make over and over. It would make an excellent side dish for Mexican dishes but was also fantastic with broiled tilapia tonight.
    And, I love your blog, too! It's usually my first stop when I'm looking for a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made this for dinner tonight and loved it! Didn't have cilantro, darn it, but it was still super delicious. We ate it as the main dish and I served it with a side of chips and salsa. Yum.

    I make a similar dish with lentils,(minus the corn and beans) but the quinoa was a nice change.
    So glad to find some healthy yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very good.

    I added one can of tomatoes and am having the leftovers with chicken mixed in today.

    Everyone liked it (including kids).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this and am sharing it on my blog on Wed. Thanks! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had this for dinner and got rave reviews! Loved it! Thanks Mindy!

    ReplyDelete