Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cranberry Coffee Cake


This is the yummiest cake!  If you are familiar with coffeecakes, you know that they are scrumptious fresh out of the oven but once they are cooled down they can taste bready and dry. Not so with this amazing cake. It melts in your mouth regardless of whether it's fresh out of the oven or you're eating the last piece the next day. It is so moist that it almost shouldn't be considered a coffeecake. The hint of almond flavoring is fabulous paired with the cranberries. Whenever I bring this to parties it gets rave reviews. Hope you enjoy!


Cranberry Coffee Cake
Submitted by Erin  ~  The Sisters Cafe

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (one cube)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp almond flavoring
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1/2 c. sliced almonds

Glaze:
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 T. water

Cream together sugar and butter.  Add eggs, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add flour, sour cream, and almond flavoring and mix well.  Grease and flour a bundt pan and spoon 1/3 batter into the bottom.  Spoon half of the cranberry sauce on top.  As well as you can, evenly distribute 1/3 of the batter on top of the cranberries, then layer the remainder of the cranberry sauce, followed by the remaining 1/3 batter.  Sprinkle with chopped nuts.  Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes.  Cool.  Gently loosen edges of cake from the pan with a skinny knife or spatula, then invert cake onto serving platter.  Mix glaze ingredients and drizzle over top of cake.

9 comments:

  1. Lark (SparkyLarky)April 6, 2011 at 4:18 AM

    Oh this looks great! :)

    I needed to make a cake for Activity Days...This is it!

    Thanks as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM!! This sounds so good! I love a good moist coffee cake:) Thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO excited to try this, I love finding ways to use up cans of cranberry sauce! I have a sour cream coffee cake that I have every year on my birthday because it is that good, I just posted it on my blog last week, daybydaysunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this coffee cake Erin! thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like one I make with frozen cherries. Seems pretty easy for such a yummy cake. I'll have to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks DIVINE!! Icannot wait to make this!! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather of Kitchen ConcoctionsApril 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

    This coffee cake sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You have me wanting to make this right now. This coffee cake sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to bake this our Potluck at church tomorrow. I hope they like it.

    ReplyDelete