Thursday, April 14, 2011

German Chocolate Cake Frosting

Mom made German Chocolate cake all the time growing up. It was one of our Dad's favorites. The recipe she uses is one of her mothers'. It is so rich and flavorful - mmmm. Making German Chocolate cake frosting from scratch makes a world of difference! If all you have tasted is the canned stuff, then you have got to try this out. It is easy, too. (I have to add, I was in a hurry the night I made this cake. I didn't give the frosting time to thicken up as much as usual and everything was not completely cooled, hence the slightly runny frosting. Sorry guys! Not the best picture but it still tasted sublime!)



German Chocolate Cake Frosting
submitted by Brittany ~ The Sister's Cafe

1 cup milk or cream (I like to use a combination of both)
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
Combine cream, sugar, egg yolks, and butter in saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until thickens, 3-5 minutes.



Add vanilla, coconut and chopped nuts. Let it cool completely before icing cake. Makes enough for middle and top of 2 layer, 9-inch round cake.





15 comments:

  1. My daughters could have easily been the author of your post. :) My husband (their dad) LOVES German Chocolate Cake and I, too, have made it a lot over the past 26years! I have an "heirloom" German Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Icing recipe also. And you are so right, the tub icing doesn't even begin to hold water to the "real thing", nor does the cake mix hold up to the made from scratch German Chocolate Cake.

    By the way...LOVE your blog!! I have used several of your recipes and they have become some favorites (especially the Dr. Pepper Cake) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather of Kitchen ConcoctionsApril 15, 2011 at 3:41 AM

    I love German Chocolate Cake! I actually recently made a huge homemade German Chocolate Cake for my friend's wedding as the groom's cake. It was a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your many wonderful posts... I read every one! I just gave you the versatile blogger award over at The Executive Mom.
    Love,
    Karen
    http://www.theexecmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could make the icing all the time and just eat that! Forget the cake I say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh YUM! I love this frosting, too. I think our whole family does. This german chocolate cake is Matt and Dad's favorite, and it is definitely up there for Griff and I! And I totally agree that homemade tastes a million times better than store bought. Thanks for posting, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy. FYI, I tried to subscribe via RSS and keep getting 404 errors. Something is amiss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Mike's favorite---I've made this homemade frosting for him for his birthday every year that I can remember. I can vouch for saying this frosting really makes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Libby@CookingWithLibby.comApril 17, 2011 at 8:54 AM

    Yummmm! This is how we make our frosting for the German Chocolate Cake that we make :) It's so good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sister's Cafe,

    May I make a request? I haven't seen any recipes for No-Bake Cookies, and I was wondering if any of you have made them and know a good recipe? If you post one I'd be truly grateful.

    Sincerely,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now all I need is a great German Chocolate Cake recipe, and I'll be all set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andrea - i don't have a no bake cookie recipe, sorry! In fact I have never made them! :) But I will ask my sisters if they have!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any chance you will post the yummy cake recipe along with this frosting??? I really need a good German Choco Cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup margarine,1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup milk, 4 Tablespoons cocoa
    Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
    Add 3 cups quick oats, 1/2cup peanut butter, 1teaspoon vanilla.
    Drop by teaspoon on wax Ed paper. Let col.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering if this would keep in the fridge for a little while, or do I have to use all of it right away. I thought it could be a great vanilla ice cream topper, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was fantastic. Everyone at party love it!! This a keeper.

    ReplyDelete