Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pulled Pork with Cilantro Coleslaw

011

My Mom shared this fabulous recipe with me last week after she had it at a church function and as you can see, I wasted no time in trying it out on my family!  She was right...it was fabulous, I am not kidding!  This sandwich is  soo good!!!  We loved it!  This coleslaw is creamy and surprisingly NOT sweet like so many other recipes.  It seemed to balance the tangy BBQ pork perfectly!  This dinner was a hit and it couldn't have been easier to make!  My kind of dinner!  I can see why they served it for a church function. It would be really easy to prepare this recipe for a large group!  I guess I am getting antsy for summer,  I am already planning a backyard pool party with this sandwich in mind!  Now if only the weather would cooperate!  Today we had flurries--ugh!!  Crazy spring weather!  How is it in your neck of the woods?



Pulled Pork with Cilantro Coleslaw


Recipe Source: My Mom via Kelsey A.


Ingredients


  • Cilantro Coleslaw Ingredients

  • 1/2 cabbage sliced OR you can use 1 small bag of coleslaw mix (that is what is pictured)

  • 1/4 c cilantro chopped

  • 1/2 c sour cream

  • 2 T vinegar

  • 1T water

  • 1/2 t salt and pepper




Instructions



  1. Pulled Pork

  2. There are lots of ways to make pulled pork. I like to use a Pork Butt (shoulder) roast with some fat on the bottom, but a tenderloin was used in the above picture and it worked great! The key is slow roasting. I like my crockpot or stoneware baker for creating pulled pork. Here is what I do:

  3. Season your pork--try Montreal Seasoning or just some salt and pepper

  4. Place in crockpot (or heavy pan or stoneware baker) with about a cup of water (or I use chicken broth)

  5. It using crockpot cook on low for 6-8 or high for 4-5. If using the oven--bake at 300 for 3-4 hours, depending on the size of meat you use. Cook until is can be shredded. Drain off the excess liquid if there is any and remove any fat. Once you shred it, add your favorite BBQ sauce. We like Sweet Baby Rays. YUM!

  6. Mix sour cream vinegar, water, salt and pepper.

  7. Pour over cabbage and mix well.

  8. Serve a scoop of the coleslaw over the BBQ sauce smothered pulled pork in split bun. Enjoy!







 

 

3 comments:

  1. These sandwiches are so good! I love the cilantro coleslaw with the pork. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this! I took a picture, but I never got around to doing it. We served this at Ririe's baby blessing. It is soooo good! Definitely a recipe I will use forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete