Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lemon Bread

lemon bread

Hello friends!  Are you enjoying Spring? We are here in Tennessee!  Here the world is a million shades of green, with blossoms everywhere you turn. I love it  We are currently putting in a swimming pool in our backyard and my boys are so excited!  Its been fun to watch the progress everyday.  In my opinion it is still too cold to swim, but that hasn't stopped my boys from swimming almost everyday!  They are crazy!! The summer heat and humidity will be here soon enough and then I will be happy to join them:)  With all the construction going on in my backyard and baseball season in full swing (that is 6 games a week for our household of boys)  I have been so busy, that posting  has been pushed to the back burner!  I am determined to squeeze in the time to post more though, I  have several really delicious recipes to share with you!  First up is this sunshiny Lemon Bread--such a classic treat for this time of year!   I have been making this recipe for years and love it every time.  All of the called for ingredients are almost always available in my kitchen, making it quick and easy to make.  This sweet and tangy  bread is just perfect for Spring and it freezes very well to save for summer!  Hope you enjoy!

Need a little inspiration? --I shared a fantastic video here on Melandboys.



Lemon Bread


Author: Melanie


Ingredients


  • 2 cups sugar

  • 4 eggs

  • 3/4 cup butter (softened to room temperature)

  • 3 cups flour

  • 1 cup milk

  • 2 tsp baking powder

  • zest of 2 lemons

  • Glaze

  • 4 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice

  • 1 cup powdered sugar




Instructions



  1. Preheat oven to 350.

  2. In a bowl combine the sugar, eggs, butter, milk and lemon zest.

  3. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.

  4. I like to squeeze a little lemon juice into the batter, maybe a tablespoon or two.

  5. Bake in 2 8x4 inch greased and floured pans at 40-50 minutes.

  6. Glaze: Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice with powdered sugar.

  7. When you take the bread out of the oven let the glaze drip and drizzle over the loaves.

  8. If you want you can poke holes in the top first.







 

3 comments:

  1. This lemon loaf looks moist and delicious! So spring-time! I'll have to save this recipe!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, sounds yummy. I will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete