Friday, November 7, 2014

The Best Snickerdoodles (all butter)

010

I have to admit that I am a chocolate chip cookie girl myself, so I kind of forget about making other kinds of cookies!  Which according to my family is a tragedy because they LOVE snickerdoodles !  I  try to have cookies in my freezer to pop into my 5 boys daily lunches and these are the most requested variety by far!  I think I avoided them for years because most snickerdoodle recipes have shortening as an ingredient and I try to avoid it at all costs!  So after some trying lots of different recipes,  I found the BEST snickerdoodle recipe that is all buter.  This is supposedly Mrs. Fields recipe--I am not sure about that since I have found several different recipes making that same claim!  Regardless,  I will say these snikerdoodles are FANTASTIC and shortening free (yeah)! I have been making these cookies for years and didn't realize that I hadn't posted them until I brought them to a church function and people told me they couldn't find the recipes on Sisters Cafe!  Woops! So here you go friends!  Enjoy:)

Happy Stuff post on Melandboys today:)  Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Best Snickerdoodles
submitted by Melanie~www.thesisterscafe.com

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt

For Rolling
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the butter, sugars, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 3 minutes

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.  Chill dough for at least 1 hour. ( If you don't chill the dough, the cookies will bake thinner, flatter, and be more prone to spreading.)  Roll approximately 2 Tablespoons of dough into balls, and flatten slightly. . Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat, parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.

For Rolling - In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and stir to combine.

Drop and roll each mound of dough through cinnamon-sugar. Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 9 minutes, or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don't overbake for soft, pillowy cookies. For firmer cookies, bake a minute or two longer. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving.

I like to keep unbaked cookie dough in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.

Recipe Source: Slightly modified from MrsFieldsathome. BlogSpot.com

 

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your recipes. I tried to sign up for email updates on the top of the page, but I kept getting an error message? Is there another way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If these are as good as your mother's snickerdoodles, then they will be incredible. Nice to have a recipe without shortening. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete