Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hasbrown Breakfast Casserole

yumo

This morning I made this dish for 'The Happy Cart" (treats for the teachers that we take from room to room--today was a brunch theme), and realized that I had not every posted this favorite of mine!  This is a super easy, and delicious breakfast casserole.  You can add whatever veggies/meat/ cheese  you want to suit your mood and what you have on hand.  This is a staple at our house, since it is also gluten free.  It can also be prepared the night before and go straight from the fridge to the oven in the morning.  This morning I made it with ham, sweet bell peppers, onion, and cheddar cheese.  The teachers loved it!  I made a second one for my family and they loved it too!

Speaking of appreciation, I wrote about the importance of writing thank you notes here today.  I think it is so important, especially in this day in age where texting or emails are easier.  I am trying very hard to get the habit instilled in my boys.  How do you get your kids to write thank you notes?  I would love to hear how you do it!

Hasbrown Breakfast Casserole


Author: Melanie

*This is one of those recipes that you can add to and change to fit your needs and tastes. You really can't go wrong:) **If making ahead of time and storing in the fridge, be sure to add extra 15-20 minutes to the baking time **To save time you can put the thawed hashbrowns in the greased baking dish and bake in a 425 oven for about 15 minutes and then continue the recipe. This will cut some time off of baking depending on your oven and the ingredients you decide to use. So then bake 35-45 minutes covered and another 10-15 uncovered.


Ingredients


  • 3/4 (16 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed

  • 10 eggs

  • 2 cups milk

  • 1 onion, diced

  • 1 cup vegetables of choice (chopped sweet bell pepper, broccoli, canned chopped chilis)

  • 1 pound of bacon, cooked and crumbled, or cooked and crumbled sausage, or diced ham

  • 2-3 cups grated cheese of choice

  • 1/2- 1 tsp salt (depending on how salty the meat is you are using)

  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper

  • Fresh chopped parsley--couple tablespoons for the top




Instructions



  1. First grease a 9x13 pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

  2. Layer the hashbrowns, then the meat and veggies of choice.

  3. Sometimes I like to sauté the onion and veggies in a little butter or olive oil beforehand but you don't need to.

  4. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and cheese.

  5. Mix together well and pour over the hashbrowns, veggies and meat.

  6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.

  7. Cover with foil.

  8. At this point you can put it in the oven or save it in the fridge.

  9. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes and then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more or until the top is set and golden brown.

  10. Enjoy!







5 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this. Hashbrown casseroles are my favorite of the breakfast dishes. I like it with ground sausage and green onion... as a start. Other veggies are yummy in addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in the oven right now! I was a little confused though, the last paragraph gives instructions for saving "25-30 minutes" off of the recipe but it still adds up to the 1hour 15 minutes that the original recipe takes. Am I missing something or are the times off? Can't wait to taste it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops Sorry Kristin! It is always hard to post a recipe that I have been making for years--not really following a recipe exactly! I will try to review my notes and fix that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. […] Breakfast Frittata with ham Buttermilk Banana Muffins Cheddar and Chive Scones (variation of this recipe –update coming soon) Raspberry Lemon Muffins Fresh Fruit And I sent them all home with some Dark chocolate Pecan Shortbread (recipe coming soon) […]

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my family's all time favorites! Could this be done in a slow cooker??

    ReplyDelete