Monday, May 12, 2014

Oatmeal and Brown Sugar Muffins

030

Is your life as crazy as mine with the wrapping up of another school year?  It is so fun, but exhausting too!  I guess it makes you ready for summer all the more:)  I can't wait!  Now to these delightful muffins...simple, quick and tasty!  Really you can't ask for more sometimes!  I am finding these to be my go to muffin for breakfast, to add to dinner or a sweet after school snack!  My boys LOVE them and so do I.  I love that the ingredients are always on hand in my kitchen and they come together quick and easy!  I think we will be enjoying these for years to come!

Oatmeal and Brown Sugar Muffins


Author: Melanie

Recipe source: 5Boys Baker


Ingredients


  • 1 3/4 cup rolled oats

  • 1 cup flour

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

  • 2 tsp. baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp. salt

  • 1 egg

  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

  • 1 cup buttermilk

  • 1/4 cup honey

  • Extra brown sugar for sprinkling




Instructions



  1. Preheat oven to 350.

  2. Line 12 muffin cups with liner or spray with vegetable spray.

  3. Mix oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.

  4. Set aside. In a medium-size bowl, whisk egg, butter, buttermilk, and honey until well blended. Pour liquid over dry mixture and fold in with rubber spatula just until combined.

  5. Don’t overmix.

  6. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin tin.

  7. Sprinkle the tops of each with brown sugar.

  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.








 

7 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful - can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look absolutely delicious! Just a quick question. I noticed on the website you got them from they list 1 and 3/4 C. oats and you just list 3/4 C. oats. Did you change it on purpose? Just want to use the right amount. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins look absolutely delicious! Just a quick question. I noticed on the website you got them from they list 1 and 3/4 C. oats and you just list 3/4 C. oats. Did you change it on purpose? Just want to use the right amount. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, I assume that you used old fashioned oats (and not quick oats). Could you please confirm and also clarify on the amount of oats (1 3/4 c. vs. 3/4 c.) the other commenter asked about. I would love to make these asap! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going try your recipe with the kids tomorrow, it looks fantastic. I am going to add some grated orange peel and pomegranates for a bit of a twist. I love your muffins, so I think the orange peel may be interesting. Orange peel also causes weight loss.

    http://diettolose30.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-to-lose-weight-with-oranges-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These have been made four times at our house. Thank you for the recipe! One thing I did to make them more moist was to warm the buttermilk and then add the oatmeal and honey to that first. Then I add the rest of the ingredients. I did have to add a bit of water, and it was a thick batter, but it still made 12 perfect muffins, and they were so much softer since the oatmeal had soaked a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were really yummy. I used melted coconut oil for the butter. We'll be making these again for sure!

    ReplyDelete