Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes

123

Well hello again!  I have happy news for you!  First of all I have some very tasty recipes to share over the next couple weeks--yes I am back to regular posting again, promise!  BUT the really happy news is that I have a very talented person creating a new design  for The Sisters Café!  What I have seen so far is awesome!  It will be very nice and much easier to use too!  Stay tuned:)  I am excited!

Well I have had a very eventful last couple of weeks--thus the lack of posts!  The biggest event was my 40th birthday.  I guess you really aren't supposed to announce your old age to people--but o well,  I am among friends here:)  Anyway, my Mom and sweet sisters all surprised me and flew across the country to help me celebrate!  I had no idea and was absolutely shocked to see these women that I love and miss so much all seated at the table of a restaurant for what I thought was just a little dinner date with my husband.  I think my heart stopped for a minute as the realization hit me--It will go down as my best birthday ever!!  We had a Sisters reunion!  Just our sweet Mom and us girls, no kids( except for new baby Ririe--so fun to finally meet her) or husbands or responsibilities.  It was HEAVENLY!  Tomorrow I will post more about our fun in Chattanooga at Melandboys here.

taco

And of course while we were together we made some yummy food in my kitchen.  These sweet potatoes were one of the dishes we tried and all LOVED!  I have  a few others to share too, including a pineapple salsa we served with grilled fish and some divine homemade (all natural) Peanut Butter Cups!  YUM!  But first lets focus on these amazing sweet potatoes.  They are wonderful!  Something about the sweet topping with the hint of spice from the cayenne just puts them over the top!  It is making my mouth water now!  Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

119

Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes


Recipe Type: Dessert

Author: Melanie

Recipe Source: Martha Stewart


Ingredients


  • 8 medium sweet potatoes (5 lbs.), or one per person

  • coconut or olive oil

  • course salt

  • 2 T. butter, cut into small pieces

  • 2 T. light brown sugar

  • 1/3 c. chopped pecans

  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper




Instructions



  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

  2. Peel potatoes and halve lengthwise; slice crosswise 1/4- 1/2 inch thick.

  3. On a baking sheet, toss potatoes with coconut or olive oil (we brush it on both sides); season with salt.

  4. Transfer half the potatoes to a second baking sheet; cook both sheets until potatoes are tender, tossing occasionally, 25-30 minutes.

  5. Sprinkle with butter, brown sugar, pecan pieces and cayenne pepper, dividing evenly.

  6. Bake until sugar is carmelized and hard, about 10 minutes.

  7. Toss gently; serve immediately. Serves 8.







 

5 comments:

  1. Melanie, Happy Birthday!!! I wish you a year full of joy and happiness. So happy to see a recipe posted today. It looks delicious. Can't wait for you to share the others and to see what's up on your other blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique way to fix sweet potatoes, but I do love them with pecans! I've got to try this recipe out!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I love to see your cute pregnant belly =)!! So fun to be with your sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. These were like candy. They were that good! (: And it was soooooooo fun to celebrate you! I LOVED this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these for my family the other day and they actually ate them! I have very picky eaters, who usually won't go near sweet potatoes even when they are drowned in butter and sugar, I don't know if it was the roasting, or the fact that they were sliced and not mashed like I normally make them, but all four of my little ones ate these...minus the pecans. It didn't get them over their nut aversion, but still good! Thank you. I also found they cooked about 15 minutes faster using convection at 425 deg. (I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table)

    ReplyDelete